Wednesday, October 14, 2009

right here, right now. London.

Yesterday (i wrote this over a week ago, but at the time i wrote "yesterday") for the very first time, I felt myself in London. There was nowhere else in the world I could possibly be except in this city. I know the exact moment it him me, it was subtle but recognizable none the less.

It wasn't the bright red double decker busses or all the drivers on the "wrong" side of the car. It wasn't the castles or mansion that we've toured or the brilliant accents escaping each man's tongue. it was not the pubs crowding each corner of every single street with men in suits crowding around each day. it wasn't being at the Globe for the first time, though that experience was magical indeed.

It was something else, a feeling, a vibe. I was alone, exploring trying to find a way to use my time. Searching for London, perhaps? With a cup of tea in my hand and a theatre ticket in my purse, I was ready to explore.

My venture started at Cecil ct. the little alley way that JK Rowling based Diagon Alley on. This tine street is filled with little antique shops, miniature art galleries, but most importantly, bookshops. These shops were unique and wonderful, each one so different from the next. Each one so old. Each so quintessential. Almost pristine in a dusty, odd way.

I love books, and these stores were just so incredible for me to stumble upon. My favorite was the spirituality one, I must go back there to get a palm reading. (judge me all you want, but I find that stuff really neat.) I wish I could work there. I could feel the jist of London poking at me, I knew it was near but the click didn't occur yet. It was coming.

I continued walking on and passed this tiny alleyway it was so small, I can't imagine people could go in more than single file. Maybe double if both people were small. Inside this alley there were back doors to all the pubs and restaurants that had entrances on the main streets. I headed towards it but the first 1/2 was dark and I got nervous and went back to the main road.

However, I ended up on the other side of this alley, the entrance just slightly bigger and there was this kind of cheery feeling there, lots of chaps (yes, chaps, that is the right word) were drinking beers outside these pubs in this alley just chatting, drinking, perhaps having a fag (British slang for a cigarette, not an anti-gay slur... obviously.) And gosh, I can't explain it, but everything just clicked. This is London. You are here. Right here. Right now. Yes.



No comments: