Wednesday, October 14, 2009

that being said...

I love london, really it's great, I'm having a wonderful time here and feel totally at home. But that being said, I couldn't live here forever, I miss New York wayy too much.

I miss the coffeeshop on the corner of 86th and 1st open all night long that fulfills my 3am cravings of mozzarella sticks and french fries. nothing is open that late here, well almost nothing.

I miss the bright lights and dizzying crowds of times square, the tourist attraction the New Yorkers are supposed to loathe, yet it is the place I love. Rowdy crowds and luminous marquees is the place I all home.

I miss the food, oh the food. Block after block of every cuising you cold ever imagine. Open all night long (did I mention that?)

Little Italy, I don't go there much, but oh the food. Gelato and Cannolies all the time, open all night long (did I mention that?)

I miss my shows. Hair, In the Heights, Next to normal, Rent. Oh that's right, Rent closed. Well I miss it even more.

I miss all the shows being in one small street, not knowing what to see being completely okay. I miss the sponteineity.

I miss knowing where everything is. Not needing to consult a subway map everytime I need to get from A to B. And not getting lost everywhere I go. Okay, that isn't true, but I have a general sense of orientation in New York that I don't have here.

I guess it's not just New York I miss, but rather MY New York, the city I know, I miss knowing the place that I live.

I miss my friends, my family, my comfortable bed, my shower, my kitchen, my closet, my space. I miss the view from my terrace fro the 27th floor looking over the river to the east and a the gaggle of sky scrpaers to the west.

I do miss a lot of things, but I love London and am thankful for this opportunity to be here.

No comments: