Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Berlin, Deutschland - eine

It's interesting being in a foreign country with a different language. German is really cool and kind of hilarious. Growing up in a global city I' so used to people walking around gushing in some unrecognizable jargon. It's weird to think that in Berlin, this is me. While everyone here knows a little bit of English, just enough to get by, they don't really understand the language and our conversations in general are just nonsense to them. I find that neat. I fund a lot of things neat these days

-zwei-

We arrived in Berlin quite late and all very exhausted so after our meetings and dropping our stuff off in the, essentially, bachelorette pad that we were given, we wandered off and got pizza. Yes we are in Germany and had Italian food, but I don't care because it was amazing. Anna and I split the quattro frommagio and my wait line yelled at me a little. It's okay though, it was delicious.

-drei-

The next morning, bright and early, we got breakfast form the hostel, where I kind of ate my life away. Actually soo much food. chatted with Wolfgang, who is the shit, and met our hilarious, dorky, and opinionted tour guide, Gabriel who led us around for the day.

- vier -

Gabriel took us around this city and taught us the history of Berlin. There's something quite remarkable about Berlin in that so much of the city was rebuilt after it was destroyed in the war, yet below the new and modern buildings, the old Berlin very much still exists in a sort of alternative Universe.. It is very much still there, almost vivid really. Gabriel showed us where Hitler used to live. What's there now? Get this... a playground!! As in, for children. As cool of a city Berlin has now become, I don't think it's a place I could ever live or call home. Too much negative energy lurking it its streets.

No comments: