Saturday, February 7, 2009

recruitment?

I don't get why sorority rush is called "recruitment." Just because like, who are they recruiting? These girls all already knew they wanted to be in a sororities some of them are even desperate to be in sororities, to be in particular sororities. If anything I think it should be called "decruitment" as in... Who can we eliminate? Who do we NOT want in our house? Who can we not accept? Or maybe they usually try to recruit people but last year when I rushed I was just so awful and they all wanted to get rid of me. Those of you know me, that's not me being paranoid, that's me being sarcastic. Clearly I know I'm not an awful person, which is why I think the system is absurd.

So this came out sort of strong. I don't hate sororities, truly. Clearly, i even wanted to be in one last year. I have friends who love it. I was considering even rushing again because there are a couple sororities that I actually really like and would happy to be a part of. I just think that the system of rush is absolutely ridiculous. It's hurtful, and it's absurd. I can't tell you how many girls I've seen burst into tears because a group of bitches decided that they didn't want to accept her based on talking to the girl for like .2 seconds. Last year when I rushed I was really unhappy. I was getting really sick, I was fighting with my roommate, and I was fighting with my friend from home, so then being flat out rejected by people, who in the long run, made no difference, I just was not in a good mood. So of course the houses didn't want me. No one wants someone moping around or whatever, but I'm a generally happy person, these girls didn't know me. By rushing they couldn't know that this is not how I usually am.

I am so glad I didn't decide to rush again, i would not want to put myself through that utter judgmental hell. And don't get me started on the pledging process.

I found my group, It's called Alpha Phi Omega, they are not exclusive, they don't haze, they always make me happy. I could not ask for a better group of brothers. Maybe that's because I didn't need to put on an inch of makeup, a fake smile, and a pair of skinny jeans, just to be accepted. I've said it a million times, but when I am with APO people, I am truly myself.
-----------------------------------

This video always makes me cry:

No comments: