Thursday, January 29, 2009

writing is subjective

The blatant rejection of my writing would usually have significantly discouraged me from keeping my head up in the field. However, in my frustration, there is nothing that I feel more compelled to do right now than to just write.

Was that sentence clear cut? Was it coherent? Do I care?

I believe that writing is an art. It is something we create. It is something that the artist initiated for the purpose of evoking feelings, emotions, statements, and it is a means of expression.

Even news writing...

I also believe that writing is subjective. Despite what I am being taught, I do not think there is a right and wrong way to write. I don't mean grammar. There are definitely rights and wrongs in grammar (though even those rules can occasionally be bent but only if that bending is intentional) Some words are aesthetically pleasing to one set of people and may not be to another.

If there is a clear cut formula for writing, then I was unaware of it and probably should have been informed about this mold before being given the assignment for a feature story in the Daily Orange.

I have a lot of important things that I should be doing right now, yet somehow I can't think of any of them because I am compelled to write. I don't just want to write. I need to write. I want to write this for everyone else, I NEED to write this for me. I should be studying for my current events quiz that I'm going to fail, but I will not be content until this blog is written.

And it is that feeling which makes me confident in my writing.

But okay, you're probably all wondering why I am so pissed off. I wrote an article for the DO. I didn't know we had to bring them in to be reviewed. I am not blaming anyone for that, it was probably my fault that I didn't know. I tend to be disorganized and if I did read it it probably went over my head. But okay, I didn't know and I couldn't have come in anyway because I was in a meeting until 10.

As mentioned I was told nothing about how to write this article. Furthermore, I was told to write an article on what the "animation majors" were up to at SU. Um... there IS no animation major at SU. I also got a significant cut on the deadline. It was supposed to be due February 9th and was moved up to January 28th. Yes, I could have declined the offer to write it even though it was moved up but I didn't want to back out. I wanted to write this article. And I wanted to do a good job. I thought I did a good job. You know what.... i DID do a good job and I don't care if the editors at the DO agree or not. Why? Because WRITING IS SUBJECTIVE. Especially for a feature story.... (that was a sentance fragment AND it was on purppse... so how do you feel about that?)

Back on topic. So. I slaved over this article, was it stellar? No. Was it bad? Certainly not. Was it better than a lot of the stuff I have seen written in this publication. Definitely. In my opinion anyway. Yet somehow there were a lot of "issues" with my story. None of which, by the way, I was informed of. In fact, there were so many issues with this story that the editor decided it was necessary to REINTERVIEW the people for the article. If I wasn't so confident that my writing wasn't shit I would have taken this as a huge blow. And that's real professional... you know, reinterviewing the subjects... Last time i checked this was a feature article that a minimal amount of people will glance at in the Daily Orange, not a breaking News story for USA Today...

So the article you see now in the Daily Orange. Was not written by me. I'm not even sure that any of my words are still in it. The only trace of Amelia that can be found is the occasional quote that was used from the original interviews I did. I still do not know what was wrong with my story. I don't mean to take a stab at the people at the DO, I know that they are busy but really.... an example or quick explanation would have been nice. If anyone would like to see the article I wrote, I would be ore than pleased to share.

And if this little blog pisses anyone off.... well, maybe you should have considered that before attending a communications school (top of the line communications school, might I add) that treasures the words of the first amendment more than John Lennon treasures peace.

peace, love, and freedom of the press,
Amelia



Nothing like the good old potter puppet pals to get you through the bitterness

No comments: