Saturday, January 31, 2009

creative writing

I tend to dislike almost everything that I write. I think that I have finally discovered the reason for the constant scrapping of drafts, for the dozens of unfinished stories. I believe that there is a blurry line between fiction and reality. The creative fiction stories that I write are either about something I know nothing of (which often leads to me getting stuck and not knowing where to turn) or ones that hit waaaaaaaay too close to home. The latter type often leaves me feeling quite vulnerable. I get concerned what people will think. If people will know. Or if they know, will they know that it isn't all reality, that while there are themes that can identify with issues in my life I am not the character I have created. It's scary to put yourself out there like that in that context. Blogging is one thing because you know what you're giving and people know what they are getting, but creative fiction is putting yourself out to the world in a way that you can't be certain of. There is a lot more room for interpretation, it's pretty scary.

Don't censor, don't censor, don't censor. Die, Vampire, die. I've got to keep reminding myself, don't I?

In addition to the personal vulnerable and the fear of not getting it just right, there is also the self-consciousness which comes along with something in any artistic field. Is it even good? Do I have talent?

All in all getting you're writing out there can be quite the burden.

Just a silly little vid:

No comments: